In case you or your loved one has suffered an injury due to someone else’s negligence, it is crucial to seek the help of a skilled personal injury lawyer. Scranton personal injury lawyers are legal professionals who specialize in handling cases related to personal injuries caused by accidents, medical malpractice, or defective products.
Why Do You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?
When you are injured, dealing with legal matters might be the last thing on your mind. However, hiring a personal injury lawyer can be beneficial in several ways:
- Expertise: Personal injury lawyers have in-depth knowledge and experience in handling similar cases. They can guide you through the legal process and ensure you receive fair compensation.
- Negotiation: Lawyers are skilled negotiators who can communicate with insurance companies or the responsible party on your behalf. They fight to maximize your compensation and protect your rights.
- Evidence Gathering: Personal injury lawyers have resources to investigate your case and gather essential evidence, such as medical records, accident reports, and witness statements. This evidence strengthens your claim.
- Legal Representation: If your case proceeds to court, a personal injury lawyer will provide effective legal representation. They will present your case, argue on your behalf, and fight for the compensation you deserve.
What Types of Cases Do Personal Injury Lawyers Handle?
Personal injury lawyers handle a wide range of cases, including:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Product liability
- Workplace accidents
How to Choose the Right Personal Injury Lawyer in Scranton?
When selecting a personal injury lawyer in Scranton, consider the following factors:
- Experience: Look for a lawyer with extensive experience in handling personal injury cases. An experienced lawyer will have a better understanding of the legal complexities involved.
- Reputation: Research the lawyer’s reputation by reading client reviews and testimonials. A reputable lawyer will have a track record of successful settlements and satisfied clients.
- Communication: Ensure the lawyer maintains open and transparent communication with you. They should keep you informed about the progress of your case and promptly respond to your queries.
- Fee Structure: Discuss the lawyer’s fee structure during the initial consultation. Many personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, meaning they only get paid if they win your case.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long do I have to file a personal injury claim in Scranton?
In Scranton, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is typically two years from the date of the accident or injury. It is crucial to file your claim within this time frame to preserve your legal rights.
2. What if I am partially at fault for the accident?
Pennsylvania follows a comparative negligence system. This means that even if you are partially at fault, you can still recover compensation. However, your total compensation may be reduced based on your percentage of fault.
3. How much compensation can I receive for my personal injury case?
The amount of compensation depends on various factors, such as the severity of your injuries, medical expenses, loss of income, and emotional distress. A personal injury lawyer will evaluate your case and strive to obtain the maximum compensation possible.
4. Will my case go to trial?
Most personal injury cases are settled out of court through negotiations. However, if a fair settlement cannot be reached, your lawyer will prepare your case for trial and represent you in court.
5. What if the insurance company denies my claim?
If the insurance company denies your claim, a personal injury lawyer can help you file a lawsuit and pursue your case in court. They will gather additional evidence, build a strong case, and fight for your rights in the legal system.